Ma thinks she can say what she likes, and she usually does. When she was in hospital a few years ago she was worse than ever. Auntie Lil (Ma’s sister in law, who she cant stand) popped in to visit her one evening. We all know that auntie Lil would talk about herself as long as anyone would listen to her, but ma really wasn’t in the mood for her that day.
- Maisie, Its great to see you looking so well.
- I’m in hospital Lil, how could I be looking well?
- When I was in hospital…
- I don’t want to hear it Lil.
- I was just trying to make conversation.
- That’s not conversation, that’s telling me all about your kidney stones, your gall stones your arthritis, your frozen shoulder and every ailment you’ve had since 1955.
- I thought you’d be interested.
- I was, the first time but I’ve heard every story a hundred times.
- Always the exaggerator Margaret.
- Did you not bring any grapes?
- You don’t like grapes.
- I like chocolate.
- I brought you a magazine.
- Last weeks womans way? Thanks a million.
- Still as ungrateful as ever, Margaret.
- Stop calling me Margaret.
- Why not, it’s your name isn’t it?
- Whatever, LILIAN, so come on, have you any news?
- …and don’t talk about yourself ; sure we’ll do that when you leave.
Auntie Lil didn’t stay long, I told ma I’d be very surprised if she comes back.
“Job done” so says she.” Sure she only came in for a gawk”
In fairness, Aunty Lil always was a miserable aul cow and a worse hypochondriac than ma 😏