There was a knock on the door one day. I opened it to some young fella looking for my son…
- Is Viler coming out
- There’s no one here by that name
- He told me he lived here
- Who are you?
- Dotsie? What kind of a name is that
- I’m Daniel Doherty, me friends call me Dotsie
- It’s a nickname, like Viler
- Who’s Viler?
- Richard Violet. Does he not live here then?
- Richard lives here; Viler doesn’t
- Everyone calls him Viler, it’s short for Violet
- Well I prefer Richard, I don’t like nicknames
- No one calls him Richard, he’ll be scarlet
- He can be scarlet all he likes. You can call him Rick
- Rick? That’s a bit gay isn’t it?
- And Dotsie is so masculine?
- No need to be sarcastic Mrs.
- Sorry Daniel. I called him Rick after Rick Astley
- You know the singer ‘Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down’
- Never heard of him
- I suppose it was before your time
- Why do you call him Richard if his name is Rick
- His Da doesn’t like Rick Astley. We compromised. I call him Rick, his da calls him Richard
- ..and we call him Viler
- Does your mother not mind you being called Dotsie?
- She said it’s better than Dotty. That’s what me da was called in school
- Dotty Doherty, is he your da?
- Yeah, do ye know him
- I knew him years ago
- That’s gas. I’ll tell him
- Yeah, tell him Bear said hello
- Bear? Viler said your name was Bernie
- It is
- So it was a nickname then? I thought you didn’t like nicknames?
- It was more a term of endearment Daniel
- What’s that?
- Ask your da
- I will missus. So is Viler…I mean Richard, sorry Rick coming out?
- He’s not here. I’ll tell him you called
- Cheers. See ye later Bear
- Bye Dotsie
Dotty Doherty, now there’s a blast from the past 🙂
5 thoughts on “Nicknames”
We have some weird nicknames over here too.
Reblogged this on dublinhousewife and commented:
I can’t believe Rick will be 28 this year. Some of his mates still call him Viler. This was number one in the charts when he was born 🙂
My son’s friend has reddish hair and his friends call him ‘the ginger’. I’m sure his parents are thrilled! 😀
LikeLiked by 1 person
I had a pal with red hair in school called Carol..we called her Carrot…ha, the poor young one 🙂
Bear, huh? That’s a good nickname. My name led to so many nicknames that school was hellish. Tiger Lily, Lily pad, Lily of the Valley, Water Lily….