I hadn’t been away since before the pandemic and I was feeling wrecked.Jimmy said it was from minding the grandkids too much and taking care of ma aswell. ” you’re not as young as you used to be,Bernie” he said. Cheeky fecker. Anyway, I decided a few days away to visit me best pal, Julie was all I needed. I popped in to see ma before I left.
- Hiya, ma. How are you.
- Grand, Bernie. Just tired.
- Same here, ma. Im wrecked.
- Well there’s an excuse for me I’m old, but a young one like you, should be bursting with energy.
- Try telling Jimmy that.
- You need a good tonic,Bernie.
- I need a holiday.
- Have a glass of guinness in the evenings.Its your only man.
- I can’t stand guinness. It’s rank.
- Just knock it back, it’ll build up your iron.
- I’d rather have a bacardi.
- Well, that’s no use to you.
- Yes it is. A few bacardis and a natter with,Julie and I’ll be flying.
- Its great that you’re getting to see her after so long. How’s she doing?
- Still in remission and feeling great.
- That’s great news. Tell her I’ve been praying and lighting candles for her wont you?
- Oh she knows. Sure, couldn’t she see the flames from Wales.
- Have the time of your lives, both of you. Life is short.
- We will. I’m really looking forward to it.
- I’ll miss you.
- Miss you too ma. But its only for a few days.
- Me and you are great friends aren’t we, Bernie?
- Of course we are ma. What’s got into you?
- Ah don’t be minding me, I just miss you when you’re not here.
- Blink and I’ll be home ma.
- I know.
- Are you crying?
- You are. Don’t be blackmailing me, Im still going.
- Of course you are. Have a great time, and tell Julie I was asking for her.
- Here, give me a hug. I’ll be back before you know it.
- Love you,Bernie.
- Jaysis ma, are you trying to strangle me or what?
- Ring me when you get there.
- I will.
- Don’t forget.
- I wont, I promise.
- Bye, Bernie.
- Bye ma.
I never rang.
That was my last hug.